Saturday 16 June 2012

Rosemary and Lemon Shortbread

Yesterday I had a couple of hours free so I just had to make this shortbread as it sounded so delicious when I was writing about it in a previous post, the recipe is mentioned in the 'Rosemary' post a few days and it did not dissapoint.

It took only a few minutes to combine the ingredients (posted a picture below of the ingredients you need). The aromatic smells of the chopped fresh rosemary and the lemon zest were intoxicating and really got my mouth watering for the finished product.

I found it alot easier to manage the rolling out by placing it between grease proof paper sheets. Popped it in the fridge to chill for 30 mins and went off to do something else.

Once chilled you can either cut into rectangles or use a shaped cutter. Place on a tray and bake for 10 mins. You know it is ready as you can smell the warming herb and citrus fragrances filling the kitchen and they go a light golden brown. See pic of finished shortbread below.

They really are very delicious and moreish. I erred on the side of caution and didn't overdo the rosemary but think I have room to add a little more next time and tweak the taste to get more of a herby hit. I only cooked half a batch which made approx 20 rectangles but wish I had done more as they disappeared very quickly.

My 6 year old gave them a huge thumbs up and his seal of approval as he snaffled several of them and suggested as I am the best cook in the world we should turn the house into a supermarket and sell them, bless his heart. Rosemary really is a wonderful herb not only to cook with as it has amazing taste and aroma but also for it's numerous health benefits which you can read about here in my previous post talking about  Rosemary

I am just doing what I love, cooking, eating, growing veggies, foraging for wild foods and watching the people I love enjoy the fruits of my pleasurable exploits, it doesn't get better than that does it !! :o)

If you would like to learn more about my exploits foraging for free wild food and the recipes I have cooked with my herbs and grow your own then please have a look at some of my other posts :)

Shortbread ingredients
Delicious Rosemary and Lemon Shortbread

No comments:

Post a Comment