Wednesday 6 June 2012

Foraging Recipe Update

Now the jubilee bank holiday celebrations are over I can find a few minutes to get back to my wild food blog and update you on the recipes i have made so far.

Wild Garlic Pesto

This tastes absolutely amazing and if you do not like the traditional pesto recipe made with basil, pine nuts and Parmesan then please do not be put off by this recipe as this pesto tastes completely different. It is so fresh, fragrant and the flavours compliment each other so well. As discussed in my original post you just omit the normal garlic, you then substitute the garlic leaves instead of basil, substitute the walnuts or any other nuts you prefer instead of pine nuts and use your favourite hard cheese instead of Parmesan. I used extra virgin olive oil but the choice is yours. It really is a recipe you can play with and adapt to your tastes and preferences. I originally made a large jar of the pesto and half has already gone so I will definitely be out again foraging for more leaves as I have found a new site and dont want to pick too many from one spot, so hopefully making more to freeze and enjoy. I have used the pesto in a sandwich, mixed into pasta, on boiled new potatoes, with roast chicken, just eating on a slice of chunky bread or adding to a casserole for extra flavour. It's uses are endless and I think it is definitely moreish and deliciously tempting. If you make some I would love to hear your comments.

Wild Garlic Butter

Like the pesto this is so easy to make and so delicious and a gorgeous vibrant green. As explained in my original post you just simply soften some butter at room temperature. Chop the garlic leaves very finely and then mix in to the butter with seasoning until everything is combined nicely. You can keep in a block, or a dish but I rolled the butter and sealed in cling film before setting in the freezer for 10 mins and cut slices off and stored them. The butter tastes great over a hot baked potato, spread on toast or bread, on new potatoes or a little dotted over other steamed or boiled vegetables.

Nettle Beer

After gathering a bagful of nettle tops without getting stung and boiling them in a pot, you would expect the resulting liquid to be a dark green, but instead it was a light brown colour. I added sugar and yeast and left it fizzing away to itself for four days in the airing cupboard. I have now syphoned the beer into recycled bottles. My local brewing supplies suggested to use 2 litre plastic pop bottles as they have a screw cap and as the nettle beer is now left to stand for 7 days before you can drink it, it can often build up pressure and with these bottles you can periodly unscrew the cap a little to release the build up without any explosive results which you may get it you use glass wine bottles, beer bottles or other containers. so just a few more days and then the tasting can begin, just in time for after my sons 6th birthday party which is when I will welcome a drink !! If you try making the nettle beer I would love to hear your comments so please do leave a comment on the post.

Elderflower Cordial

I was so delighted to see the elderflowers again this year as I really do enjoy making this cordial and drinking it too. I started to make it 10 years ago as I loved the fragrant refreshing drink so much that it was costing me a fortune to buy. I now prefer my own as you can adjust the sweetness or acidity to your preference by experimenting with different measures of the ingredients. My first batch of 1.5 litres was completed a few days ago and i now have the second larger batch of 6 litres nearly ready to strain and bottle.

We have an abundance of elder around at the moment so off out tomorrow to gather and forage for more flowerheads, just taking a little from different spots so there are plenty left to develop into berries later. next recipe to make is the elderflower champagne which is slightly different method to the cordial and then I have spotted a recipe for elderflower Turkish delight which I am just going to have to try as it sounds delicious.let me know how your cordial making goes by leaving a comment on the post.

Well I hope to see you again soon and although it's back to work tomorrow for everyone at least it is a short week before the weekend comes around again :) happy foraging

If you would like to learn more about my exploits foraging for free wild food and the recipes I have cooked with my herbs and grow your own then please have a look at some of my other posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment