Friday 1 June 2012

Nettle Beer - nicer than you think

After going to my local brewery suppliers today and getting the brewing bin, yeast and other items I needed I was all set to try out the Nettle Beer recipe I found and shared on an earlier post!

So this evening I went out foraging for nettles and found them in abundance in the hedgerows a few hundred yards down the road. My plan of using the kitchen tongs to hold the tops of the nettles and then snipping them off and putting them into the bag worked a treat and I was chuffed to have filled a whole carrier bag without being stung even once :)

Back at home I tipped all the foraged nettle tops into my stock pot and it was bulging above the rim as you can see in my picture below. It is best to pick the top six nettles leaves as these are the newest growth and the bigger leaves lower down are tough and tend to be bitter. I placed the pot on a medium heat and added the 4litres of water, peel and juice of one lemon and a teaspoon of ground ginger, then simmered it for 30-40minutes. Using a straining bag, i strained the nettle liquid off and discarded the leftover material which now resembled a nettle cake :)

Putting the liquid back on the heat and adding 1 pound and 5ounces of sugar and a tablespoon of cream of tartar, I kept gently stirring until the sugar was dissolved. Place the liquid in the brewing bin, let it cool to approx 20c then add a heaped teaspoon of brewers yeast and after it starts to froth a little then top up to a gallon or 4.5 litres with cold water. I just trickled the water down the inside of the bin so as not to disturb the yeast too much.

Now I was surprised at the colour of the liquid as I suppose I expected it to be green but in fact it was a bronze colour. On goes the lid and into a warm place for 4 days, then I can skim off the froth and bottle it. After a further 7 days then we can chill and taste it, cool. It is important that over the final 7 days you regular check the pressure build up in the bottles is ok.

I have heard alot of good reports about nettle beer so I am really intrigued to test it out and see what the flavour is like, will it be good or just like sweet nettle tea. We will see and of course I will post after the tasting session to let you know what I thought if it.

If you would like to learn more about my exploits foraging for free wild food and the recipes I have cooked with my herbs and grow your own then please have a look at some of my other posts :)


Nettles in the stock pot, beer preparation

No comments:

Post a Comment