Friday 6 July 2012

Giant Puffball find !!

After my successful first fungi forage the other week i was looking forward to finding more and I have a few on my list that i would love to find. One of them is the giant puffball as i have seen them on TV programs and have heard about them on twitter and on other people's blogs, so i was intrigued to be able to go out looking for one but not knowing where on earth to start looking around my area. It is really exciting to know that on a country walk you could come across this huge mushroom that is so large and distinctive that you can spot them several feet away. However with this weather being so inpredictable, my foraging exploits have been somewhat hampered and i wasn't sure whether i would find one at all this year. 

Well it was to be found right under my nose all time, my partner and little boy were out walking around our little village and had popped in to one of the small holdings to see some day old chicks, the next thing i know, she rings me saying you will never guess what i just found, and sure enough they had found a huge puffball growing right there, in fact there were two but one had got squashed. So i would get to taste the famous puffball after all and what a beauty it was, easily 30cm across and an amazing sight to behold. I think my sons eyes must have popped out of his head as he loves to come foraging as well, and we make it a family fun time, out walking in the woods or out in the fields, my six year old loves to spot all the new plants and leaves. My 9 month old just loves sitting in his pushchair taking it all in and saying 'ooooooo' when he sees a pretty flower, it wont be long before he is toddling around after his big brother too. 

The Giant Puffball or Calvatia Gigantea was so light it was like it was made of polystyrene and because it was a young puffball it was still white and when I sliced it, it had a white, fresh, thick texture like a huge chunk of marshmallow. We wanted to taste it just as it was so I just peeled it and sautéed it in a little butter and had it with a nice rump steak, delicious. It should keep fine in the fridge for a few days but i already have several meals planned for which i want to include the puffball in so I don't think it will last that long after all. My plans include a beef stroganoff, battered puffball slices with potato wedges as well as a lovely caramelised onion and mushroom tart. The list could be endless as it seems to be such a versatile ingredient to cook with. If i do have any left i might cube, cook lightly and freeze so i can add it to stews or casseroles when i need it. Really enjoyed the taste and texture if this incredible mushroom and would definitely cook with again if we were lucky to find some more, and if not then there is always next year and our neighbours small holding :)

If you would like to learn more about my exploits foraging for free wild food and the recipes I have cooked with my herbs and grow your own then please have a look at some of my other posts :)





No comments:

Post a Comment