Tuesday 29 May 2012

Hawthorn Flowers makes cordial

It is amazing that once you start to go out with the intention to gather and forage, a normal walk in the countryside or woods or even to school can soon become an exciting journey of discovery as you start to look at all the flowers and plants around you to identify which can be used to create something delicious.

You have to be sure that what you are looking for is easily identifiable and indeed edible and ok to gather, being careful not to select the wrong thing as some plants, flowers, berries are poisonous, so be careful that enthusiasm for free food doesn't lead you into making a mistake.

But of course everyone recognises the hawthorn which is often called the mayflower. This beautiful bush / tree transforms from a knarled thorny hard tree into an explosion of green leaves in spring and then a beautiful display of white and pink tinged blossoms in May. Then in the autumn the different crimson shades of the haw festoon the branches to provide food as well as shelter for the birds. Haw comes from the old word for hedge as this tree was often used to provide barriers as far back as roman times. It is steeped in folklore and is seen as sacred by some. It is traditionally associated with May Day and is a symbol of fertility, love, hope and of course spring.

There has been alot of recent medical research into the use of Hawthorn in treating mild heart conditions and high blood pressure and it has been proven that the flowers and leaves are high in antioxidants. So there are many benefits to this plant as well as its beautiful appearance in Spring / Summer.

I have heard older folk talk about munching on the young tender leaves of the hawthorn when they were younger to help fill their bellies and it is often referred to as bread and cheese. The young shoots of the leaves have been used as part of a salad in times gone by as well. I did actually try one the other day and I have to confess I didn't think they tasted anything like bread or cheese ;0)

Around this time of year I get impatient for the end of May to arrive and the arrival of the elderflower as I just love making and drinking that delicious elderflower cordial with its intoxicating aroma as you pick the flowers. I was reading an old book about cordials and wines and to my surprise you can make a similar cordial from Hawthorn Flowers so I am going to adapt my existing recipe and experiment with hawthorn as I wait for the elderflower season. I am intrigued to see what it will taste like so think I will definitely be out in the next couple of days gathering this lovely blossom and giving it a try!

If you would like to learn more about my exploits foraging for free wild food and the recipes I have cooked with my herbs and grow your own then please have a look at some of my other posts :)

White Hawthorn Flowers
Closeup of the pink tinged Hawthorn Flowers

3 comments:

  1. Did you try this? I am curious as to how it tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your comment ediblethings, i did try this but mixed it half and half with the elderflowers and although the dominant flavour was elderflower it gave an additional background taste that was quite floral and refreshing too. Havn't had time to make a purely hawthorn cordial yet as been so busy brewing other delights :o)

      Delete
    2. Can you share the recipe please

      Delete